Detox diets are new trend, but need supervision: Expert
Kolkata: Detox diet plans are gradually becoming a trend among diet freaks and health conscious citizens, says an expert but cautions that such regimes should be undertaken only under the supervision of dieticians.
Detox diet is basically an intake plan to cleanse the system by giving the stomach a break from excess which has accumulated and the toxins that are in the body.
"Around 65-70 percent of my clients want to opt for a detox diet. But we talk to them to understand the requirement and recommend it if only it is required," says Namita Jain, a dietician and clinical wellness specialist associated with the Bombay Hospital in Mumbai.
"But it has to be done under the supervision of a dietician and it has to be done in a scientific way. A lot of people do it on their own," Jain told.
"They will starve one day and next day eat and binge, and that really takes a toll on their health," Jain said on the sidelines of the inauguration of the first Diet Mantra Clinic, a wellness clinic in Kolkata.
"These are special diet plans to clean the system, when you have eaten too much... It is not at all recommended for children or youngsters and only if a dietician suggests one should start it," she said.
According to jain, there are one-three-five and seven days plans for detox diets.
"It has become a recent trend in India but it existed since long all over the world. Spas the world over have had such diet plans to get rid of all the toxins in one`s body."
Detox diets may involve consuming extremely limited quantity and type of foods like only water or juice, or eliminating certain foods like fats or processed foods from the diet, according to experts.
Jain said dieting and exercising together are the mantra for keeping one fit. "The trick to getting into shape is 80 percent diet and 20 percent exercise. We also advocate walking and bringing in at least one hour of exercise daily to lose weight," Jain told.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow