Dietary supplements can elevate cancer risk: Study
Washington: Supplements such as beta-carotene, selenium and folic acid, quaffed at much higher levels than their recommended daily doses, are most likely to elevate the risk of developing a host of cancers, a study says.
"It`s not that these nutrients are toxic - they`re essential and we need them, but we need them in a certain balance," says Tim Byers, study co-author and professor of epidemiology at the University of Colorado School of Public Health, US, the Journal of the National Cancer Institute reports.
"We have a window into less than half of the biology of what these nutrients are doing. We say generalised things about them, calling them an antioxidant or an essential mineral, but true biology turns out to be more complex than that," says Byers, according to a Colorado statement.
"The effects of these supplements are certainly not limited to the label we give them. And, as we`ve seen, sometimes the unintended effects include increased cancer risk," adds Byers.
Currently the FDA regulates dietary supplements as food, but, as Byers and colleagues suggest, supplements, especially at high doses, are more accurately described as inhabiting a mid-ground between food and drugs. Like drugs, supplement ingredients are biologically active - sometimes for better and sometimes for worse.
"My conclusion is that taking high doses of any particular nutrient is more likely to be a bad thing than a good thing," Byers says.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH