Dieting slows down your body’s metabolism
London: Losing weight is twice as hard as you may think as reducing your calorie intake slows down your metabolism, say scientists.
They said that dieters’ expectations have been too high, and official guidance that cutting 500 calories a day will result in a pound of weight being lost a week is plain wrong, the Daily Mail reported.
But dieters need not worry, as the same experts have created an online calculator that allows would-be slimmers to adjust their expectations and gain a more realistic picture of what they can expect to achieve.
The Body Weight Simulator website – at bwsimulator.niddk.nih.gov – estimates how much less that person will have to eat, or how much more exercise they’ll have to do reach their goal.
Official advice in the UK and the U.S. has long been that cutting out 500 calories a day will lead to weight loss of a pound a week.
But the calculation assumes that weight loss is steady and does not take into account that a person’s metabolism slows down as they lose weight, making subsequent pounds harder to shed.
This means weight is twice as hard to shift, the researchers said at the American Association for the Advancement of Science’s annual conference.
The old system says that cutting 100 calories a day will lead to the loss of 10lb a year. The revised rule predicts just 5lb will be shifted.
Rather than expecting too much, dieters should be patient, said Boyd Swinburn, an obesity expert from Deakin University in Melbourne, Australia.
Advising slimmers not to set their sights on more than a half a pound of weight loss a week, he said: “This is extremely good. This is a marathon not a sprint.”
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know