Dragon fruit named `hot new superfood for 2013`
London: If you`re bored of blueberries and have had enough of splashing the cash on goji berries, the pitaya could be the super fruit for you for it has been hailed as having remarkable health-giving properties, including the ability to regulate blood sugar levels in diabetes as well as providing a dose of anti-oxidants.
While it might look innocuous, the pitaya is harvested from a South American cactus and has the spines to prove it, the Daily Mail reported.
Although the fruit originates in South America, it is now grown in Thailand, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and the Philippines, where it`s loved for its many health benefits.
Said to be rich in vitamin C, fibre and calcium, the pitaya - or dragon fruit as it`s also known - gives you a bigger bang for your buck than similar super fruits such as acai berries.
Already available in Waitrose and Tesco, the bright pink fruit is full of edible black seeds and boasts flesh that tastes like a cross between a kiwi fruit and a pear.
Along with a mega-dose of vitamin C, pitaya is also thought to help lower cholesterol and is packed with skin-boosting antioxidants.
The tiny black seeds are a great source of healthy Omega-3 fat and there`s plenty of magnesium and calcium in the flesh.
Pitaya is even believed to help regulate blood sugar levels.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?