Drink watermelon juice to ease post-exercise muscle soreness
Washington: A new study has found that watermelon juice can help post-exercise muscle soreness.
Encarna Aguayo and colleagues cite past research on watermelon juice`s antioxidant properties and its potential to increase muscle protein and enhance athletic performance.
But scientists had yet to explore the effectiveness of watermelon juice drinks enriched in L-citrulline.
They tested natural watermelon juice, watermelon juice enriched in L-citrulline and a control drink containing no L-citrulline on volunteers an hour before exercise.
Both the natural juice and the enriched juice relieved muscle soreness in the volunteers. L-citrulline in the natural juice (unpasteurized), however, seemed to be more bioavailable - in a form the body could better use, the study found.
The findings have been published in ACS` Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis
- Vladimir Putin rages as Turkey shoots down Russian plane
- I was shivering while interviewing Nirbhaya's friend, says Ramnath Goenka awardee Sudhir Chaudhary
- If India was intolerant, then Kiran Rao wouldn't have married Aamir Khan: Baba Ramdev