Drinking milk can cause complications in kidney patients
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
Dialysis is the process of removing waste and excess water from blood in people with reduced or lost kidney function. Patients undergoing dialysis need to be extremely careful with the kind of food they eat.
Here is what one should not eat when on dialysis:
-Avoid dairy products. They are a double jeopardy as they have high level of potassium and phosphorus. Dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt contain high level of both the minerals, which can lead to complications in kidney patients. High level of potassium can cause muscle and heart problems and high phosphorus levels can lead to weak bones.
- Avoid nuts and seeds as they too contain high level of both phosphorus and potassium.
-Say no to canned food. Canned foods are high on sodium content which can lead to fluid retention in people undergoing dialysis.
-Keep away from fruits that are high in potassium content. Fruits like banana, kiwi, orange and avocado should be limited or avoided to reduce complication risk.
- Whole grains and high-fibre foods like whole wheat bread, bran cereal and brown rice should also be avoided as they are high in phosphorus content.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH