Drinking water can make your brain 14% faster
Washington: Drinking water can sharpen your mind, a new study has revealed.
The University of East London School of Psychology in England has found that subjects who drank about three cups of water - 24 ounces per 775 milliliters- before taking a series of cognitive tests - performed better on a test measuring reaction time than subjects who didn`t drink water.
The researchers speculated that being thirsty may take brain`s attention away from the task at hand, thus slowing response time.
"It might be that physiological processes (of drinking or not drinking water) affect performance on different tasks in different ways," study researcher Caroline Edmonds said.
"Thirst might lead to better performance on some tasks, because the hormone vasopressin, which activates the thirst response, has also been linked to attention and arousal," she said.
In the new study, 34 adults were asked to abstain from food or drink starting at 9 p.m., and come into a laboratory the next day for testing.
Participants visited the laboratory twice: On one occasion, they were offered a cereal bar for breakfast along with water, and on another day, they were offered a cereal bar and no water.
For the reaction test, participants had to press a button as soon as they saw an object on a computer screen. Reaction times were 14 percent faster among the water group than the no water group.
The study was published in the journal Frontiers in Human Neuroscience on the July 16 issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city