Easter chocolate can be good for health
Los Angeles: It's tough to stay away from chocolate delights on Easter, but there are benefits associated with the sweet too.
Chocolate is known for its high sugar and fat content, which can be bad for your waistline, but consuming dark chocolate can have significant health benefits, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
Sally Norton, weight loss consultant at Spire The Glen Hospital Bristol, has given a lowdown on how you can enjoy a bit of what you fancy this Easter.
* Cocoa may help prevent memory loss: Scientists at Harvard Medical School suggest that drinking two cups of hot chocolate a day may keep the brain healthy and prevent memory decline in older people by preserving blood flow in working areas of the brain.
So, a cup of cocoa and a good night's sleep has even more benefits than previously thought.
* Cocoa reduces blood pressure: A review of numerous trials has found that consuming dark chocolate or cocoa can significantly reduce blood pressure. Even amounts as small as six gm have been shown to reduce blood pressure compared to eating a similar amount of white chocolate which doesn't contain the beneficial compounds found in dark chocolate.
* Cocoa may help chronic fatigue syndrome: Scientists from Hull York Medical School showed that people with chronic fatigue syndrome had improvement in their symptoms when eating dark chocolate as opposed to milk chocolate with added brown dye. They postulated that this was due to boosting levels of serotonin, a brain chemical, via the polyphenols found in dark chocolate.
* Cocoa improves cardiovascular health: As well as decreasing your blood pressure, a review of 42 trials looking at over 1,200 patients also showed a drop in insulin levels, and 'bad' cholesterol levels by having the flavanols found in cocoa. Both of these benefits will reduce the risks of heart and blood vessel diseases such as heart attacks and strokes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets