Eat protein rich diet to ward off stroke risk
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Researchers have found that a diet rich in protein, especially eating oily fish is significant in reducing risk of stroke.
Regular consumption of fish and long chain omega 3 fatty acids has been linked with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease.
The meta-analysis looked at all of the available research on the relationship between protein in the diet and risk of stroke.
Seven studies with a total of 254,489 participants, who were followed for an average of 14 years, were included in the analysis.
Overall, the participants with the highest amount of protein in their diets were 20 percent less likely to develop a stroke than those with the lowest amount of protein in their diets.
The results accounted for other factors that could affect the risk of stroke, such as smoking and high cholesterol.
The reduced risk of stroke was stronger for animal protein than vegetable protein, said the study published online in the journal Neurology.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra