Eating asparagus may prevent a hangover: Study
Seoul: Asparagus, a common vegetable, may alleviate alcohol hangover and protect liver cells against toxins, researchers claim.
Amino acids and minerals found in asparagus may prevent a hangover, according to researchers at the Institute of Medical Science and Jeju National University in South Korea.
They analysed the components of young asparagus shoots and leaves to compare their biochemical effects on human and rat liver cells.
"The amino acid and mineral contents were found to be much higher in the leaves than the shoots," said lead researcher B Y Kim.
Chronic alcohol use causes oxidative stress on the liver as well as unpleasant physical effects associated with a hangover.
"Cellular toxicities were significantly alleviated in response to treatment with the extracts of asparagus leaves and shoots," Kim said in a statement.
"These results provide evidence of how the biological functions of asparagus can help alleviate alcohol hangover and protect liver cells," Kim added.
Asparagus officinalis is widely consumed worldwide and has long been used as an herbal medicine due to its anticancer effects. It also has antifungal, anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties.
The study was published in the Journal of Food Science.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know