Eating `beetroot bread` can help lower blood pressure
London: Making a loaf with beetroot can lower blood pressure and improve blood flow to the heart, a new study has revealed.
Researchers from the University of Reading gave 24 participants with four slices (200g) of bread containing 100g of beetroot or a control bread with no beetroot added to it, the Daily Express reported.
It was found that the diastolic blood pressure of those who ate the "beetroot bread" was lowered by 7mmHg when compared to the control group, approximately three hours after consumption.
The component of beetroot bread thought to be responsible for the beneficial effects on blood vessel function and blood pressure is dietary nitrate.
According to the researchers, when dietary nitrate is eaten it produces nitric oxide in the blood vessel wall which causes relaxation of the vessel and increased blood flow . This ultimately results in lowering of blood pressure and an improvement in blood vessel function.
The study is published in the Journal of Nutrition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'