Eating `beetroot bread` can help lower blood pressure
London: Making a loaf with beetroot can lower blood pressure and improve blood flow to the heart, a new study has revealed.
Researchers from the University of Reading gave 24 participants with four slices (200g) of bread containing 100g of beetroot or a control bread with no beetroot added to it, the Daily Express reported.
It was found that the diastolic blood pressure of those who ate the "beetroot bread" was lowered by 7mmHg when compared to the control group, approximately three hours after consumption.
The component of beetroot bread thought to be responsible for the beneficial effects on blood vessel function and blood pressure is dietary nitrate.
According to the researchers, when dietary nitrate is eaten it produces nitric oxide in the blood vessel wall which causes relaxation of the vessel and increased blood flow . This ultimately results in lowering of blood pressure and an improvement in blood vessel function.
The study is published in the Journal of Nutrition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand