Eating fish and nuts can help boost school kids` academic scores
New York: A new study has found that kids who have higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids are "significantly" more likely to score better on reading and memory tests and had fewer behavioral problems.
The Oxford University study of 500 children indicates that it may help to add foods like salmon and walnuts to the table that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential building blocks for a healthy brain.
After taking blood samples from the children between the ages of seven and nine, scientists found that levels of omega-3 fatty acids "significantly predicted" their ability to concentrate, and learn, the New York Daily News reported.
Presented at a conference in London last week, the study found that higher levels of omega-3, particularly the long-chain form of Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), were associated with better reading and memory and fewer behavioral problems among the children examined.
Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to play an important role in the brain's structure and cognitive function, in addition to heart health and the immune system.
Dietary sources of omega-3 include fatty fish such as sardines, mackerel, salmon and tuna as well as flaxseed oil and walnuts .
The study is published in the journal PLOS One.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears