Eating fish and nuts can help boost school kids` academic scores
New York: A new study has found that kids who have higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids are "significantly" more likely to score better on reading and memory tests and had fewer behavioral problems.
The Oxford University study of 500 children indicates that it may help to add foods like salmon and walnuts to the table that are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential building blocks for a healthy brain.
After taking blood samples from the children between the ages of seven and nine, scientists found that levels of omega-3 fatty acids "significantly predicted" their ability to concentrate, and learn, the New York Daily News reported.
Presented at a conference in London last week, the study found that higher levels of omega-3, particularly the long-chain form of Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), were associated with better reading and memory and fewer behavioral problems among the children examined.
Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to play an important role in the brain's structure and cognitive function, in addition to heart health and the immune system.
Dietary sources of omega-3 include fatty fish such as sardines, mackerel, salmon and tuna as well as flaxseed oil and walnuts .
The study is published in the journal PLOS One.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE