Eating fish can boost good cholesterol levels
London: Increasing the intake of fish to a minimum of three to four weekly meals can boost good cholesterol levels which may provide protection against heart diseases, a new study has found.
People who increased their intake of fatty fish had more large High Density Lipoprotein (HDL) particles in their blood than those who were less frequent eaters of fish, said researchers at the University of Eastern Finland.
The study provides new information on how the consumption of fish affects the size and lipid concentrations of lipoproteins which transport lipids in the blood, researchers said.
They observed that a higher intake of fish increased the number of large HDL particles and lipids contained in them.
Population-based studies have shown that HDL cholesterol - also known as good cholesterol - and large HDL particles are efficient in sweeping extra cholesterol off artery walls.
Large HDL particles have been associated with reduced risk of cardiovascular diseases, whereas small HDL particles may even have opposite effects.
Positive changes in lipid metabolism were observed in persons who increased their intake of fish most, ie in persons who ate at least three to four fish meals per week.
The study participants ate fatty fish such as salmon, rainbow trout, herring and vendace. No added butter or cream was used in the preparation of fish.
The study does not give answers to whether a similar effect would have been observed had the study participants mainly eaten low-fat fish such as zander and perch, researchers said.
The study was published in the journal PLOS ONE.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know