Eating soy and tomato may help prevent prostate cancer
Washington: Tomatoes and soy foods may be more effective in preventing prostate cancer when they are eaten together than when either is eaten alone, according to a new study.
"In our study, we used mice that were genetically engineered to develop an aggressive form of prostate cancer. Even so, half the animals that had consumed tomato and soy had no cancerous lesions in the prostate at study`s end," said John Erdman, a University of Illinois professor of food science and nutrition.
"All mice in the control group - no soy, no tomato - developed the disease," Erdman said.
From the time they were 4 to 18-weeks-old, the animals were fed one of four diets: 10 per cent whole tomato powder; 2 per cent soy germ; tomato powder plus soy germ; and a control group that ate neither tomato nor soy.
The 4 to 18-week time frame modelled an early and lifelong exposure to the bioactive components in these foods, he said.
"Eating tomato, soy, and the combination all significantly reduced prostate cancer incidence. But the combination gave us the best results. Only 45 per cent of mice fed both foods developed the disease compared to 61 per cent in the tomato group, and 66 per cent in the soy group," he said.
Prostate cancer is the most frequently diagnosed cancer in men, but the disease has nearly a 100 per cent survival rate if it`s caught early.
In older men, it is often a slow-growing cancer, and these men often choose watchful waiting over radiation and surgical treatments that have unwelcome side effects, said Krystle Zuniga, co-author of the paper.
In countries where soy is eaten regularly, prostate cancer occurs at significantly lower levels, Erdman noted.
"The results of the mouse study suggest that three to four servings of tomato products per week and one to two servings of soy foods daily could protect against prostate cancer," Zuniga said.
"It`s better to eat a whole tomato than to take a lycopene supplement. It`s better to drink soy milk than to take soy isoflavones. When you eat whole foods, you expose yourself to the entire array of cancer-fighting, bioactive components in these foods," Erdman said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Rafael Nadal crushes Sam Groth to make French Open second round
- Finishing PhD now a political responsibility for me: JNUSU president Kanhaiya Kumar
- BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016 (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar Board Intermediate Class 12 XII Arts / Vocational Results 2016 to be announced on May 25
- British mother jailed for planning to take her three children to ISIS
- (manresult.nic.in) Manipur HSLC Results 2016 declared; Manipur HSLC exam result 2016, Manipur Board Class 10 result