Egg yolks increase heart disease risk
London: The more egg yolks people eat, the worse effect it has on blood vessels, a new study has revealed.
Results of the study by Canadian research shows that the build-up of carotid plaque, a waxy substance that clogs blood vessels and which is linked to reduced blood flow and higher risk of cardiovascular disease, is greater the more egg yolks people eat.
“Our results suggest a strong association between egg consumption and carotid plaque burden,” the Independent quoted the researchers as saying.
“The effect size of egg yolks appears to be approximately two-thirds that of smoking. We believe our study makes it imperative to reassess the role of egg yolks, and dietary cholesterol in general, as a risk factor for heart disease,” they added.
The study assessed the affects of eating eggs in nearly 1,200 people, with an average age of 61.
The results of the study show that the carotid plaque area grew with age after 40, but increased exponentially with the number of years of smoking and egg yolk eating.
The study has been published in the journal Atherosclerosis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!