Energy drinks may help improve heart function
Washington: Energy drinks can exert acute positive benefits on heart performance, a new study has revealed.
The current study, led by Dr Matteo Cameli from University of Siena, which used avant-garde technique in echocardiography and echo Doppler analysis to explore the influence of energy drinks on heart function on 35 healthy subjects, found that their ventricular functions were better and enhanced.
The participants were given an energy drink (168 ml/m2) containing caffeine and taurine.
When their heart rate, blood pressure, left ventricular function and right ventricular function were analysed one hour after consumption, they were found to be relatively deviated from baseline values.
Although the increase in heart rate, systolic blood pressure and diastolic blood pressure were not significantly changed, left ventricular function improved in comparison to baseline.
The functioning of right ventricle also improved one hour after consuming energy drinks.
"Taken together these results show that energy drinks enhance contractions of both the left and right ventricles, thereby delivering a positive effect on myocardial function," Dr Cameli said.
"This could be explained by the inotropic effect of taurine that, as previously demonstrated, stimulates the release of calcium from the sarcoplasmic reticulum,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi