Fast food affects liver same way as hepatitis
Washington: Regular consumption of fast food items like fried chicken and onion rings are particularly bad for your liver, a study has found.
These fried foods have many surprising complications and dangers for the people that consume them, researchers have said.
"The amount of fat and saturated fats creates a condition called fatty liver," CBS News quoted Dr. Drew Ordon of `The Doctors` and author of the book, `Better in 7` as saying.
What`s interesting about the new information is that even after just a month of consistently eating fatty foods from fast food restaurants, there are significant changes in your liver.
The fried foods do not just impact your cholesterol and waist line.
Ordon describes that the changes in the liver enzymes as being surprisingly similar to the damage that is seen by hepatitis , which can ultimately lead to liver failure.
They found that french fries, in particular, are one of the most dangerous foods, because of all the added ingredients to the potato.
"We know that they are adding salt, and cooking it in fat, but they`re also putting sugar on them too. Why sugar? Because it helps get them golden crispy," Ordon said.
He also warned that consumers should be wary of items at fast food establishments marked healthy or fresh because there aren`t clear regulations for these items, and the food can often have added chemicals, especially salads.
"Some places actually put propylene glycol on the salads, which is anti-freeze, the reason behind that is that it prevents wilting," Ordon said.
"And although they say a little anti-freeze isn`t going to hurt you, obviously given a choice you don`t want to be eating anti-freeze," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Sexism row in BBL: Chris Gayle hits back heavily at criticisers, says it was just for ‘little fun’
- Economic engagement with Afghanistan, Iran our priority: PM Modi
- Watch! This is how ATM frauds cheat victims
- Allergic customer dies after being served nut-based curry; restaurant owner found guilty
- Here's a guide to fertility preservation in adult female cancer survivors