Fast food affects liver same way as hepatitis
Washington: Regular consumption of fast food items like fried chicken and onion rings are particularly bad for your liver, a study has found.
These fried foods have many surprising complications and dangers for the people that consume them, researchers have said.
"The amount of fat and saturated fats creates a condition called fatty liver," CBS News quoted Dr. Drew Ordon of `The Doctors` and author of the book, `Better in 7` as saying.
What`s interesting about the new information is that even after just a month of consistently eating fatty foods from fast food restaurants, there are significant changes in your liver.
The fried foods do not just impact your cholesterol and waist line.
Ordon describes that the changes in the liver enzymes as being surprisingly similar to the damage that is seen by hepatitis , which can ultimately lead to liver failure.
They found that french fries, in particular, are one of the most dangerous foods, because of all the added ingredients to the potato.
"We know that they are adding salt, and cooking it in fat, but they`re also putting sugar on them too. Why sugar? Because it helps get them golden crispy," Ordon said.
He also warned that consumers should be wary of items at fast food establishments marked healthy or fresh because there aren`t clear regulations for these items, and the food can often have added chemicals, especially salads.
"Some places actually put propylene glycol on the salads, which is anti-freeze, the reason behind that is that it prevents wilting," Ordon said.
"And although they say a little anti-freeze isn`t going to hurt you, obviously given a choice you don`t want to be eating anti-freeze," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE