Fast food affects liver same way as hepatitis
Washington: Regular consumption of fast food items like fried chicken and onion rings are particularly bad for your liver, a study has found.
These fried foods have many surprising complications and dangers for the people that consume them, researchers have said.
"The amount of fat and saturated fats creates a condition called fatty liver," CBS News quoted Dr. Drew Ordon of `The Doctors` and author of the book, `Better in 7` as saying.
What`s interesting about the new information is that even after just a month of consistently eating fatty foods from fast food restaurants, there are significant changes in your liver.
The fried foods do not just impact your cholesterol and waist line.
Ordon describes that the changes in the liver enzymes as being surprisingly similar to the damage that is seen by hepatitis , which can ultimately lead to liver failure.
They found that french fries, in particular, are one of the most dangerous foods, because of all the added ingredients to the potato.
"We know that they are adding salt, and cooking it in fat, but they`re also putting sugar on them too. Why sugar? Because it helps get them golden crispy," Ordon said.
He also warned that consumers should be wary of items at fast food establishments marked healthy or fresh because there aren`t clear regulations for these items, and the food can often have added chemicals, especially salads.
"Some places actually put propylene glycol on the salads, which is anti-freeze, the reason behind that is that it prevents wilting," Ordon said.
"And although they say a little anti-freeze isn`t going to hurt you, obviously given a choice you don`t want to be eating anti-freeze," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional