Finally, a wine that has medicinal properties!
Melbourne: A biochemist-turned- winemaker in Queensland, Australia has claimed to have created what drinkers had only dreamed of - wine that is beneficial to your health.
Greg Jardine, founder of Mt Nebo-based company Dr Red Nutraceuticals, filed a patent for Modified Polyphenol Technology in Wines late last year and said the creation would "finally give wine a real medicinal edge," the Courier Mail reported.
The process involved ageing red wine for a certain period of time, which enhanced the number of antioxidants within it, made them fat-soluble, rather than water-soluble, and easier to absorb into the bloodstream.
Some studies have shown antioxidants are effective at fighting a multitude of different diseases.
Jardine said that he had been working on the process for 10 years but had only recently discovered a way to retain the taste while enhancing antioxidants.
"Wine has got massive amounts of antioxidants but they are quite tannic so if you put more in people would not drink it because of the taste," he told the Sunday Mail.
"What we discovered was if we allowed them to age and stop it at the right point of time the tannic taste goes and we make it taste good," he said.
Biomedical Sciences Professor Lindsay Brown, from the University of Southern Queensland, found the non-alcoholic dried crystal used to make the wine successfully treated rats with arthritis.
Jardine said that the wine could help treat a "range of ageing conditions" from chronic fatigue and gout to stiff joints after a visit to the gym.
Stressing the wine is "not medicine," Jardine said that it should be consumed in moderation as it has the same alcoholic content as regular wine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- SHOCKING! This model ran sex racket under guise of production house in Mumbai's Versova, arrested
- 'BJP will retain power at Centre in 2019 Lok Sabha elections'
- Theatre doyen Kavalam Narayana Panicker passes away; he was 88
- AugustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: None will be spared, asserts Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar
- British politics in turmoil as Brexit talks loom