Fish oil boosts immune system
Washington: Until now, scientists were not entirely sure about fish oil`s immune enhancing effects, which is widely believed to help prevent disease by reducing inflammation.
A new study helps provide clarity on this by showing that DHA-rich fish oil enhances B cell activity, a white blood cell, challenging the notion that fish oil is only immunosuppressive.
This discovery is important as it shows that fish oil does not necessarily reduce the overall immune response to lower inflammation, possibly opening the doors for the use of fish oil among those with compromised immune systems.
"Fish oil may have immune enhancing properties that could benefit immunocompromised individuals," Jenifer Fenton, Ph.D., M.P.H., a researcher involved in the work from the Department of Food Science and Human Nutrition at Michigan State University in East Lansing, Michigan, said.
To make this discovery, researchers used two groups of mice.
One group was fed a control diet, and the other was fed a diet supplemented with DHA-rich fish oil for five weeks.
B cells were harvested from several tissues and then stimulated in culture.
Researchers then looked for markers of B cell activation on the cell surface, B cell membrane changes, and B cell cytokine production.
They found that DHA-enriched fish oil enhanced B cell activation and select antibody production, which may actually aid immune responses associated with pathogen clearance, while possibly dampening the totality of the inflammatory response.
The research is published in the Journal of Leukocyte Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Assocham for penalty waiver in initial phase of GST rollout
- Roberto Martinez announced Thierry Henry as assistant coach for Belgium
- Olympic Dreams: Rickshaw driver buys shooter daughter rifle worth 5 lakh that was saved for her wedding
- Sonam Kapoor to campaign against malnutrition
- Want no cookie cutter beauty queen: Lara Dutta