Five reasons why you should eat spinach
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: Spinach the green leafy vegetable which is the source of Popeye`s strength, is a winter superfood packed with immense nutrients.
Here are a few health benefits of spinach:
A rich source of dietary fibre, spinach aids digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar and curbs overeating thus aiding weight loss.
Flavonoids -- a phytonutrient abundant in spinach offers protection against stomach, skin and aggressive prostate cancer.
An excellent source of antioxidant nutrients - vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc and selenium - it helps decrease risk of several blood vessel-related problems, including atherosclerosis, osteoporosis and high blood pressure.
Antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin in spinach protect the eye from cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
Vitamin K abundant in spinach is important for maintaining the strength and density of the bones. Vitamin K1 helps prevent excessive activation of osteoclasts, the cells that break down bone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?