Five reasons why you should eat spinach
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: Spinach the green leafy vegetable which is the source of Popeye`s strength, is a winter superfood packed with immense nutrients.
Here are a few health benefits of spinach:
A rich source of dietary fibre, spinach aids digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar and curbs overeating thus aiding weight loss.
Flavonoids -- a phytonutrient abundant in spinach offers protection against stomach, skin and aggressive prostate cancer.
An excellent source of antioxidant nutrients - vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, manganese, zinc and selenium - it helps decrease risk of several blood vessel-related problems, including atherosclerosis, osteoporosis and high blood pressure.
Antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin in spinach protect the eye from cataracts and age-related macular degeneration.
Vitamin K abundant in spinach is important for maintaining the strength and density of the bones. Vitamin K1 helps prevent excessive activation of osteoclasts, the cells that break down bone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- My mother is like Indrani Mukerjea, she likes having sex with many men: Delhi school boy
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'