Fried foods increase prostate cancer risk
London: Men who eat fried foods more than once a week may increase their risk of prostate cancer by a third, a new research has suggested.
According to the research, junk food staples like chips, fried chicken, battered fish and doughnuts could play an important role in the formation of aggressive and life-threatening forms of the disease, the Daily Mail reported.
The research has found that snacking on deep fried foods at least once a week seemed to increase cancer risk by 30 - 37 per cent compared to men who ate them less than once a month.
The risks increase with age, with men over 50 likelier to develop a tumour, and there is a strong genetic element to it.
Experts at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Centre in Seattle analysed data from two studies involving a total of 1,549 men diagnosed with prostate cancer and another 1,492 men of similar age and profile who had good health.
All the participants - aged from 35 to 74 - completed detailed questionnaires on their eating habits.
They then made allowances for other factors that could influence men`s chances of getting prostate cancer, like weight, age, whether they had a family history of the disease and their racial background.
They were then able to calculate the extent to which eating chips, chicken or doughnuts at least once a week affected risk of developing cancer.
Results have been published in the journal The Prostate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?