Fruit and vegetable pulp may help prevent cancer
Melbourne: A University of Queensland scientist has discovered that much of the antioxidant compounds in fruits and vegetables are actually attached to the fibre in the pulpy parts of these foods.
Fibre has long been known to clean the bowel but Anneline Padayachee of University of Queensland has revealed that it also delivers cleansing antioxidants to the colon.
According to her the fibre delivers the compounds, called polyphenols, to the colon and releases them there, helping to prevent cancerous cell damage, News.com.au. reported.
In the case of black carrots, which are rich in polyphenols, 80 per cent of their antioxidants are found in the fibrous, pulpy parts.
According to Dr Padayachee, who presented her research at a Fresh Science event in Melbourne, what her study showed is that it important that people either eat whole fruit and vegetables or, if they are juicing them, drink pulpy juices rather than clear thinned-out juices to get antioxidants into their system.
“To gain the benefits of polyphenols, you need to consume everything, the whole vegetable or fruit, including the fibrous pulp if you``re juicing it,” the website quoted Dr Padayachee as saying.
“Not only will you have a clean gut but a healthy gut full of polyphenols,” she added.
Scientists are now researching whether fibre can be used to deliver and release medicines to the colon and will look at ways of using fruit and vegetable pulps in different manufactured food products.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery