Fruit and veggies can help protect against cancer risk
London: Millions of people do not eat enough fruit and vegetables putting themselves at risk of cancer, a new survey has revealed.
Only one in five people in Britain consumes the recommended five portions a day, according to the research carried out for the World cancer research Fund.
“A diet based on plant foods, such as wholegrains and pulses as well as fruit and vegetables, can reduce cancer risk as research shows they protect against a range of cancers. Recent research has confirmed that foods containing fibre reduce the risk of bowel cancer,” the Daily Express quoted Kate Mendoza of the fund as saying.
The YouGov survey of 2,128 adults was commissioned by the charity to coincide with cancer Prevention Week.
It found that only 22 per cent of the British adult population consume five or more portions a day while only 17 per cent of lower income households get the right amount.
Fruit and vegetable consumption levels were lowest in the north of England, where just 18 per cent said that they had five or more portions daily.
Highest levels of consumption were in the south where 26 per cent said they ate at least five portions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Tamil Nadu cricketers picked for Duleep Trophy can play in TN Premier T20 League: BCCI
- Analysts, market participants hail RBI move on bond markets
- Scorpene submarines: Australian newspaper uploads new set of leaked documents on underwater warfare
- BCCI hopes amended Sports Bill is tabled during Budget Session
- Ronaldo beats Bale, Griezmann to win second UEFA Best Player in Europe Award