Garnish food with edible flowers for disease-free life!
London: Forget food, try some flowers instead to increase immunity. If we go by a new research, common edible flowers in China are rich in phenolics and have excellent antioxidant capacity.
These edible flowers have the potential to be used as an additive in food to prevent chronic disease, help health promotion and prevent food oxidisation.
“Edible flowers, which have been used in the culinary arts in China for centuries, are receiving renewed interest. Flowers can be used as an essential ingredient in a recipe, provide seasoning to a dish, or simply be used as a garnish,” the researchers explained.
Some of these flowers contain phenolics that have been correlated with anti-inflammatory activity and a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease and certain cancers.
However, the antioxidant mechanisms, the anti-tumour, anti-inflammation and anti-aging activity of the edible flower extracts should be further studied to develop more applications as natural antioxidants, said the study published in the Journal of Food Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy