Google examines employees` snacking habits to promote healthier alternatives
Washington: Google known for its work culture that includes doses of free perks recently conducted an experiment to analyse the snacking habits of its employees.
Google realized that its workers were eating too much of the free candies and food which needed to be replaced with healthier alternatives at arm`s reach.
The company conducted surveys of snacking patterns through the M and M project, collected data on the proximity of M and M bins to any given employee and conducted experiments by placing sugary foods in opaque containers and healthier snacks in glass jars.
According to the Washington Post, the search giant is known to analyse every corner of its workplace to ensure more productivity and better results.
However, some analysts question whether the free meals, napping stations and inexpensive massages make people stay in the office longer, perpetuating a work-obsessed culture that has eaten into family life and community.
While others said that with such experiments Google is trying to signal that it cares about it employees` health and its efforts are welcomed by the new employees.
Other than the candy munching habit, Google also tried to promote drinking more water by placing bottled water on eye-level shelves and behind clear glass while putting sugary sodas on the bottom shelves of refrigerators and behind frosted glass which resulted in 47 percent increase in water consumption after several weeks, reducing the sugary intake by 7 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured