Google examines employees` snacking habits to promote healthier alternatives
Washington: Google known for its work culture that includes doses of free perks recently conducted an experiment to analyse the snacking habits of its employees.
Google realized that its workers were eating too much of the free candies and food which needed to be replaced with healthier alternatives at arm`s reach.
The company conducted surveys of snacking patterns through the M and M project, collected data on the proximity of M and M bins to any given employee and conducted experiments by placing sugary foods in opaque containers and healthier snacks in glass jars.
According to the Washington Post, the search giant is known to analyse every corner of its workplace to ensure more productivity and better results.
However, some analysts question whether the free meals, napping stations and inexpensive massages make people stay in the office longer, perpetuating a work-obsessed culture that has eaten into family life and community.
While others said that with such experiments Google is trying to signal that it cares about it employees` health and its efforts are welcomed by the new employees.
Other than the candy munching habit, Google also tried to promote drinking more water by placing bottled water on eye-level shelves and behind clear glass while putting sugary sodas on the bottom shelves of refrigerators and behind frosted glass which resulted in 47 percent increase in water consumption after several weeks, reducing the sugary intake by 7 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand