Health benefits of caraway seeds (Shahjeera)
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: Caraway seeds also known as Shahjeera or Siya jeera is widely used for flavouring bread, biscuits, cakes and cheese. Other than a great spice, caraway seeds can do wonders to your health.
Here are a few health benefits of Shahjeera:
- Caraway seeds are diuretic, expectorant, and tonic, and are used as remedies for bronchitis and cough
- The seeds soothe the digestive tract and relieve colic, cramps, bloating and flatulence by directly acting on the intestinal muscles
- The powder of the seeds also helps heal bruises
- Improves appetite and is helpful in treating earache
- Counters heart irregularity caused by excess digestive gas
- Eases menstrual cramps
- Increases breast-milk production in nursing mothers
- The diluted essential oil is a useful remedy for scabies
- Its astringency helps in treating of diarrhea and is used as a gargle for laryngitis
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO
- Yuvraj Singh outsmarted by Zaheer Khan's rumoured girlfriend Sagarika Ghatge on troll attempt!