Health benefits of caraway seeds (Shahjeera)
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: Caraway seeds also known as Shahjeera or Siya jeera is widely used for flavouring bread, biscuits, cakes and cheese. Other than a great spice, caraway seeds can do wonders to your health.
Here are a few health benefits of Shahjeera:
- Caraway seeds are diuretic, expectorant, and tonic, and are used as remedies for bronchitis and cough
- The seeds soothe the digestive tract and relieve colic, cramps, bloating and flatulence by directly acting on the intestinal muscles
- The powder of the seeds also helps heal bruises
- Improves appetite and is helpful in treating earache
- Counters heart irregularity caused by excess digestive gas
- Eases menstrual cramps
- Increases breast-milk production in nursing mothers
- The diluted essential oil is a useful remedy for scabies
- Its astringency helps in treating of diarrhea and is used as a gargle for laryngitis
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis