Health benefits of eating hummus
New York: Hummus - the dip of chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice and salt - is absolutely irresistible. It is flavoursome for sure and nutritious too.
Here are a few benefits of eating hummus:
- The nutrients in hummus could help you with weight management: Nutritionist Peggy Kotsopoulos says that since hummus is so rich in protein, it can help fight hunger cravings and balance blood sugar levels. This could help curb excessive snacking.
- Chickpeas can lower cholesterol: In a study done by Jane Pittaway, an Australian lecturer in Health and Biomedical Science at the University of Tasmania's School of Human Life Sciences, a group of people aged between 30 and 70 and not in the best of health ate chickpeas every day for three years. She had a second group of people supply their daily fibre intake through wheat products like bread and cereal. The results showed that when both groups consumed the same amount of fibre, those on the chickpea diet consumed less fat and had a small reduction in cholesterol.
- Chickpeas may help reduce cancer risk: Food items that contain folate may reduce the risk of colorectal cancers (like colon cancer). What's more? Researchers believe dietary fibre helps promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the colon, which is also protective against cancer.
- It's a much better spread to use on bread: If you are trying to find healthier ways to continue to eat your (not so healthy) foods, hummus can be your saviour. Instead of the typical cream cheese, try hummus.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan