Health benefits of eating hummus
New York: Hummus - the dip of chickpeas, olive oil, lemon juice and salt - is absolutely irresistible. It is flavoursome for sure and nutritious too.
Here are a few benefits of eating hummus:
- The nutrients in hummus could help you with weight management: Nutritionist Peggy Kotsopoulos says that since hummus is so rich in protein, it can help fight hunger cravings and balance blood sugar levels. This could help curb excessive snacking.
- Chickpeas can lower cholesterol: In a study done by Jane Pittaway, an Australian lecturer in Health and Biomedical Science at the University of Tasmania's School of Human Life Sciences, a group of people aged between 30 and 70 and not in the best of health ate chickpeas every day for three years. She had a second group of people supply their daily fibre intake through wheat products like bread and cereal. The results showed that when both groups consumed the same amount of fibre, those on the chickpea diet consumed less fat and had a small reduction in cholesterol.
- Chickpeas may help reduce cancer risk: Food items that contain folate may reduce the risk of colorectal cancers (like colon cancer). What's more? Researchers believe dietary fibre helps promote the growth of healthy bacteria in the colon, which is also protective against cancer.
- It's a much better spread to use on bread: If you are trying to find healthier ways to continue to eat your (not so healthy) foods, hummus can be your saviour. Instead of the typical cream cheese, try hummus.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead