Health benefits of raisins revealed
Washington: New findings provide evidence that raisins may protect against cavities.
It`s been traditionally thought raisins can cause cavities because of their stickiness and sugar content.
However, current research suggests that raisins may provide some protective benefits against dental cavities.
Even though raisins are sticky, it was found that they do not adhere to the teeth long enough to promote dental cavity formation and may even help clear other types of food particles trapped on the teeth.
Raisins also have potential to reduce risk of diabetes and heart disease.
Based on a comprehensive review of nearly 80 studies, researchers found that raisin consumption may reduce the risk of developing diabetes and heart disease, contribute to improved blood glucose control for diabetic individuals, and be useful for weight loss and weight management.
Consumption of grape products is also associated with better eating habits.
An analysis of National Health Examination Survey (NHANES) 2003 to 2008 data was conducted to compare grape consumers with nongrape consumers among children and adults.
The results showed that both children and adults that consumed grape products (fresh grapes, raisins, 100 percent grape juice), had higher total intake of other fruits, dark green/orange vegetables, and key nutrients like fiber, vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium and potassium than those who did not consume grape products.
In addition, grape product consumers ate less fat, added sugars, and alcohol resulting in lower calorie consumption.
The findings are published in the Journal of Food Science.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly