`Healthy` smoothies have more sugar than a can of coke
London: Smoothies contain more sugar than a glass of cola, a new investigation has revealed.
The fruit drinks are seen as a healthy alternative to fizzy pop but eight out of 10 are sweeter than the same amount of Coca-Cola.
The Co-operative’s Pineapple, Mango and Passion Fruit Smoothie contains the most sugar – 36.75g per 250ml and the equivalent of seven teaspoons – while the same amount of Coke contains 26.5g.
Top-selling brand Innocent also has high sugar content, with 34.2g, consumer watchdog Which? revealed.
“Smoothies are a good source of fruit and provide valuable vitamins. But they can contain high levels of sugar and calories, so should be consumed as part of a balanced diet,” the Mirror quoted Which? boss Richard Lloyd as saying.
All 52 smoothies tested for the study were higher in calories than 250ml of Coke, which has 105 calories.
A Co-op spokesman said that the sugar in its smoothies comes naturally from the fruits and that nutritional information is printed on the label.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?