Healthy treats for breakfast
London: Cereals, toasts and sweet delights may seem unavoidable during breakfast time, but it is advisable to consume healthier food to begin your day with, says an expert.
According to Ilona Wesle, a nutritionist and co-founder of MyDetoxDiet.com, wheat must be avoided in the morning as it converts quickly to sugar and then fat, and that even without the added sugar in cereals and jams, reports femalefirst.co.uk.
Here are a few tasty ideas which will satiate your tummy as well as taste buds:
Bircher muesli: Take rolled oats with sliced apple and pear (or whatever fruit, nuts and raisins take your fancy). Then soak it all in some agave syrup or apple juice overnight in a bowl. Eat with soya yoghurt the next morning. Delicious as a snack any time of day, and full of good fibre and protein.
Eggs: You can choose to get some proper protein with a boiled egg and toasted rye bread soldiers; scrambled eggs with a bit of spinach and cayenne pepper; or a poached egg on smoked salmon. It makes for great brain food for the day ahead, and it is easy to make.
Yoghurt: Just get your hands on a simple probiotic yogurt with nuts and berries. Try it with goji berries and flaxseed. Soak the flaxseeds in water overnight - the combination with probiotic yogurt is great for soothing tummy troubles. This can also make a healthy pudding that you can have after lunch.
Green juice: Grab a cold pressed green juice before heading out of home. Oxygenating and full of chlorophyll, pressed juices retain the goodness of their ingredients by savouring the nectar straight from the pulp. Pressing - rather than chopping or blending - doesn't degrade the fruit or vegetable and avoids over heating it and zapping away minerals. Try courgette, broccoli, lemon, apple and fennel for a zesty morning kick.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- DNA: Govt claims no power shortage, but India looms in darkness
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 28, 2015
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- Heatwave toll rises to 1,826, over 1,300 dead in Andhra Pradesh
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination