High cholesterol diet helps with fatal genetic disease
London: Early studies in mice have revealed that a diet high in cholesterol may help people with a fatal genetic disease, which damages the brain.
Patients suffering from Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease struggle to produce a fatty sheath around their nerves, which is essential for function.
The study showed that a high-cholesterol diet could increase production.
The authors said the mice “improved dramatically”.
Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease (PMD) is one of the many leukodystrophies in which patients struggle to produce the myelin sheath. It protects nerve fibres and helps messages pass along the nerves.
Without the sheath, messages do not travel down the nerve, resulting in a series of problems including movement and cognition.
Researchers at the Max Planck Institute of Experimental Medicine, in Germany, performed a trial on mice with the disease and fed them a high cholesterol diet.
The first tests were on mice when they were six weeks old, after signs of PMD had already emerged.
Those mice that were fed a normal diet continued to get worse, while those fed a cholesterol-enriched diet stabilised.
“This six-week-long cholesterol treatment delayed the decline in motor co-ordination,” the BBC quoted the scientists as saying.
Further tests showed that starting the diet early was more beneficial, leading the researchers to conclude that in mice “treatment should begin early in life and continue into adulthood”.
Since the study was only in mice, it is not known if there would be a similar effect in people - or if there would, how early treatment would have to start.
“Dietary cholesterol does not cure PMD, but has a striking potential to relieve defects,” the authors of the report said.
It is thought the cholesterol frees up a “traffic jam” inside cells in the brain.
The disease is caused by producing too much of a protein needed in myelin, which then becomes stuck inside the cells. It is believed that the extra cholesterol helps to free up the protein.
The study was recently published in Nature Medicine.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list