Horsemeat may help improve cholesterol, iron status
London: A couple of portions of horsemeat a week lowers cholesterol and boosts blood iron levels, scientists have found.
Horsemeat is very high in iron, with one 150g portion providing up to a half of the daily-recommended intake, and very low in saturated fats, which are associated with high cholesterol, said the researchers from the University of Milan.
In fact, they have discovered that horse has some of the health-boosting qualities that have been associated with fish, and it has up to 40 per cent fewer calories and more protein than other meats, the Independent reported.
In a new study, men aged 20 to 50 ate two 175g portions of horsemeat a week for three months while a second group ate other meat, but avoided horse.
Blood samples were taken from all the men for testing at the start of the trial and after 45 and 90 days.
Results showed that horsemeat consumption significantly reduced levels of total and bad cholesterol. The former dropped by 6 per cent, and bad cholesterol by 9.1 per cent.
Horsemeat is an important source of omega 3 and iron and, compared to other meats, is very low in saturated fatty acids but rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) like fish and other seafood, the researchers noted.
They suggested that regular consumption of horsemeat might help improve cholesterol and iron status in healthy people.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know