How cocoa polyphenols fight against Alzheimer`s and Parkinson`s
Washington: A new study has shed light on neuroprotective effects of cocoa polyphenols, which may have important implications for prevention of cognitive impairment in elderly and in neurodegenerative diseases in counteracting disease`s progression.
Epidemiological studies have indicated that dietary habits and antioxidants from diet can influence the incidence of neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer`s and Parkinson`s diseases.
In the recent years, a number of papers have reported on neuroprotective effects of polyphenols in cell and animal models.
However, the majority of these studies have focused only on the anti-oxidant properties of these compounds and less on the mechanism/s of action at cellular and molecular levels.
Now, a new study from the Sbarro Health Research Organization (SHRO, Center for Biotechnology, Temple University, Philadelphia PA USA), Lombardi Cancer Center , Georgetown University and the University of L`Aquila (Italy)) has revealed that cocoa polyphenols triggers neuroprotection by activating BDNF survival pathway, both on Abeta plaque treated cells and on Abeta oligomers treated cells, resulting in the counteraction of neurite dystrophy.
"Our studies indicate for the first time the cocoa polyphenols do not act only as mere anti-oxidant but they, directly or indirectly, activate the BDNF survival pathway counteracting neuronal death" said Annamaria Cimini of the University of L`Aquila, lead author of the study.
Antonio Giordano, founder and director of the Sbarro Institute for Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, added, "Understanding the preventive potential and the mechanism of action of functional food may provide a means to limit cognitive impairment progression."
The findings have been published on Journal of Cellular Biochemistry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried