Include broccoli in your diet to keep diseases at bay
Zee Media Bureau/Philaso G Kaping
This green knobbly cousin of the cabbage is packed with rich nutrients and also a good deal of dietary fibre and vitamin C. It will be good to include broccoli in your diet as here are some of the diseases and conditions which it can help fight.
Recent studies have shown that broccoli contains many nutrients such as diindolylmethane, selenium, glucoraphanin, indole-3-carbinol, etc., chemicals which help modulate the immune system with anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-cancer activity as well as help maintain cellular processes that can cause deadly conditions like prostate, colon, breast, lung and skin cancers.
The best way to retain the nutrients is to have it lightly steamed as boiling reduces the benefits.
A study revealed that the compound sulforaphane slows down the destruction of cartilage in joints linked with osteoarthritis and may also prevent the disease from developing.
A group of researchers looked at the health of about 3,000 nurses, who they followed for 10 years and found that women who eat food rich in non-heme iron- broccoli provides 1mg per 100g- are less likely to suffer from premenstrual tension (PMT). Iron is involved with the production of the brain chemical serotonin, which helps regulate mood.
Broccoli may protect against heart disease as some research have shown that sulforaphane, which is especially concentrated in broccoli, may be able to prevent arterial inflammation and also reduce levels of cholesterol and triglycerides.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- New SC bench to hear 1993 Mumbai bomb blasts convict Yakub Memon's plea on Wednesday