Indians unaware that boiling milk depletes nutrition
New Delhi: Indian mothers are blissfully unaware that prolonged and repeated boiling of milk depletes nutrition that is vital for children, a survey released Friday stated.
The survey by Tetra Pak reveals that "around 59 percent of mothers felt boiling (milk) increases its nutritional value and 24 percent felt that it does not impact its nutritional properties. Only 17 percent of mothers surveyed believed that boiling milk affects its nutritional properties".
"It is surprising that most households are unaware that prolonged and repeated boiling of milk leads to loss in nutrition. In a majority of Indian households, milk is boiled more than thrice, skimmed and hence devoid of most of the essential vitamins, proteins, amino acids and minerals," said Sanjeev Bagai, paediatrician and nephrologist.
Vitamins and proteins are denatured and destroyed when milk is boiled at temperatures above 100 degrees Celsius for over 15 minutes. Milk is a vital source for Vitamin D and Vitamin B 12, which help in calcium absorption. Both these vitamins are highly heat sensitive and boiling milk destroys both substantially.
"Any loss of vital ingredients in milk, especially proteins and vitamins, could cause growth deficiency, weak bones, poor muscle development and neurological impact, among other long-term effects. Mothers need to be sensitised regarding improper boiling practices as it depletes milk of nutrients. At the same time, they should be aware about technologies that best protect milk," added Bagai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price