Junk food could also damage brain, says study
London: Obesity-inducing junk food could also give you dementia through high blood pressure and cholesterol, which interrupt blood supply to the brain, says a study.
Some animal studies have specifically implicated insulin, a hormone, suggesting that Alzheimer`s could be `diabetes of the brain`. But the latest theory also points to high levels of fatty and sugary food damaging the brain by interrupting its supply of insulin.
In type 2 diabetes, junk food prompts our cells in becoming resistant to the insulin they need to convert sugar into energy.
Insulin is required to regulate brain chemicals, key to memory and learning, to make and strengthen connections between brain cells and to maintain the blood vessels that supply the brain with blood and oxygen, the journal New Scientist reports.
The study suggests that something similar may be happening in Alzheimer`s, with a bad diet preventing brain cells from responding properly to insulin.
Rats developed Alzheimer`s after being fed a compound that prevented their brains from using insulin, according to a newspaper.
Suzanne de la Monte, study co-author from Brown University, US, said: "They were demented. They couldn`t learn or remember." When researchers fed healthy men and women fatty and sugary foods for a month, levels of insulin and beta amyloid rose.
With rates of diabetes soaring, dementia could be reaching `epidemic` proportions.
The Alzheimer`s Society`s director of research, professor Clive Ballard said: "One in three people over 65 will develop dementia. Research like this points us in new directions for treatment development."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Development in India is non-existent when people are dying of thirst and hunger
- DNA: Millions of tonnes of grains in warehouses go to waste while people die of hunger
- DNA: Analysis of how issues of importance are given no leverage in Parliament
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease
- DNA: Mobile phone addiction takes on a new level; spreads like a disease - PartII
- AgustaWestland probe will focus on names in Italy court judgement, says Manohar Parrikar
- Goa MLA Atanasio Monserrate booked for raping minor
- Kasich dropping out of US presidential race: Report
- Indian woman wins gender discrimination case against Wipro in Britain
- Chopper deal: I blacklisted AgustaWestland, not UPA, says Arun Jaitley