‘Kids dehydrate as they hardly drink during breakfast’
London: Nearly two-thirds of children are dehydrated because they hardly drink anything during breakfast, a new study says.
An analysis of more than 450 children between nine and 11 years showed 60 percent were classed as `not sufficiently hydrated` - a stage just below `clinical dehydration`.
A team from the University of Sheffield Medical School, Britain, studied what the children were eating and drinking before leaving for school. They also measured urine osmolality - the concentration of the children`s urine, a key indicator of hydration levels.
Gerard Friedlander, professor at the Descartes University Medical School, Paris, who supervised the research, said: "We are concerned by the findings of the study, which suggest that children are not consuming enough fluid at the beginning of the day to be able to maintain adequate hydration through the morning.
"Children are more vulnerable to dehydration than adults due to their high surface-to-body weight ratio. They also don`t always pay attention to the feeling of thirst, so may not naturally ask for a drink," said Friedlander, a newspaper reports.
"Today we want to raise awareness of the importance of hydration in children and strongly encourage parents to make sure their child drinks enough at breakfast time so that they maintain good hydration, in case they don`t drink again until lunchtime," concluded Friedlander.
Friedlander has also overseen similar studies in France and Italy. He said the UK findings closely reflected recent research carried out in France and the US, which showed 62.2 percent and 64 percent, respectively, of children arrived at school insufficiently hydrated.
The UK study showed a higher figure for boys at 68.4 percent, compared with girls at 53.5 percent.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt