Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
Have you ever tried fasting? Perhaps you've fasted several times, but you weren't quite sure whether it could be beneficial.
While fasting has been adopted by various religious groups as a spiritual practice since ancient times, it is an act of willing abstinence or reduction from certain or all food, drink, or both, for a period of time.
Now, do not be confused for research suggests that fasting does have various benefits for the body.
Whatever your purpose of fasting is, it surely yields results.
Below are a few health benefits of fasting-
- Intermittent fasting - fasting that is controlled within a set number of hours – can help you lose weight, improve health and even live longer.
- Intermittent fasting, which gives your digestive system a rest, can energise your metabolism to burn through calories more efficiently while promoting a healthy bowel function.
- Fasting improves your brain function as it boosts the production of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a protein that influences brain function as well as the peripheral nervous system.
- Research suggests that fasting for just five days out of the month can have profound effects on cancer risk, heart disease and inflammation.
- Fasting helps maintain a clear skin because it flushes toxins out from the body and thus, boosts clarity and clears your whole system. It is the best way to introduce new healthy habits into your life while flushing out the old unhealthy lifestyle.