Low-carb vegan diet reduces weight, heart disease risk
Toronto: In addition to weight loss, a specific low-carbohydrate diet may also reduce the risk of heart disease by 10 percent over 10 years, a research indicates.
Researchers at St. Michael's Hospital have shown for the first time that the diet, often called Eco-Atkins, is a low-carbohydrate vegan diet.
“We designed a diet that combined both vegan and low-carb elements to get the weight loss and cholesterol-lowering benefits of both,” said David Jenkins, director of the clinical nutrition and risk modification centre at St. Michael's Hospital here.
The team compared Eco-Atkins to a high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet.
The Eco-Atkins diet reduced cholesterol by 10 percent while also helping participants lose on average four pounds more than the high-carbohydrate, low-fat diet over six months.
“We could expect similar results in the real world because study participants selected their own diets and were able to adjust to their needs and preferences,” Dr Jenkins noted.
Eco-Atkins participants aimed for a balance of 26 percent of calories from carbohydrates, 31 percent from proteins and 43 percent from fat - primarily vegetable oils.
Predominant fat sources for the Eco-Atkins diet were nuts, vegetable oils, soy products and avocado, said the study published in British Medical Journal Open.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory