Mare’s milk products could help TB patients
London: Scientists in Kazakhstan are planning to develop a series of products based on mare’s milk, a traditional alcoholic drink in the Central Asian state, to help soothe people suffering with tuberculosis.
Professor Yuri Sinyasky from the Kazakh National Nutrition Academy said that mare’s milk contains important nutrients that can also help cancer sufferers recover from a dose of chemotherapy.
“Mare’s milk has high stimulating properties and increases immunity, so it can be used as a base for these products,” a newspaper quoted him as telling Tengrinews website.
Horses play a central role in the national culture of Kazakhstan and its traditionally nomadic neighbours; Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia and Turkmenistan.
Kumis, fermented mares’ milk, is a popular traditional drink and horse meat is widely eaten.
Bishkek, the Kyrgyz capital, is named after the churn used to stir vats of Kumis and the yurt, a felt tent carried by nomads on their horses, is a national symbol for both Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
Many scientists have said that mare’s milk can be compared to milk from a woman in many nutritional aspects and that it may be better for human nourishment than milk from a cow.
Professor Sinyasky said a recipe for paste and liquid products based on milk from mares and goats would be developed by the end of 2012 and that production for the new products would start within three years.
“These special products will be used to support the main medical therapy used on patients,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Osama files show an "Indian brother in Madinah” financed al Qaeda
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- SC asks Haryana Police to finish AIPMT paper leak probe