Mediterranean-style diet may boost fertility in women
Washington: Women who follow a Mediterranean-style diet - rich in vegetables, fish and beans - may increase their chances of getting pregnant, experts say.
According to dietitians at Loyola University Health System (LUHS) in US, establishing a healthy eating pattern and weight is a good first step for women who are looking to conceive.
"Not only will a healthy diet and lifestyle potentially help with fertility, but it also may influence foetal well-being and reduce the risk of complications during pregnancy," said Brooke Schantz from LUHS.
Reducing intake of foods with trans and saturated fats while increasing intake of monounsaturated fats, such as avocados and olive oil can help women who want to conceive.
Women should also lower intake of animal protein and add more vegetable protein to their diet to improve fertility.
They can also incorporate more vegetarian sources of iron such as legumes, tofu, nuts, seeds and whole grains in their diets and consume high-fat dairy instead of low-fat dairy.
"Men who are looking to have a baby also have a responsibility to maintain a healthy body weight and consume a balanced diet, because male obesity may affect fertility by altering testosterone and other hormone levels," Schantz said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nawaz Sharif's dream of making Kashmir a terror hell will never come true, says Sushma Swaraj
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- Will meet Dayashankar's daughter on Sunday: Naik
- It's Giggs' Mumbai vs Solgado's Kochi in Premier Futsal final
- Two Maoists gunned down by security forces in Chhattisgarh
- 1 die, 3 injured as fire breaks out in highrise
- Tour de France 2016: Chris Froome on brink of 3rd title as Ion Izaguirre wins penultimate stage