Moderate wine consumption `may have good effect on lung function`
Washington: In a new study, scientists have assessed the impact of wine and resveratrol, which is a natural polyphenol found in high quantities in red wine, on lung function.
The research team from the Netherlands also looked at genetic factors and mechanisms by which resveratrol might be absorbed by the body and its possible effect on longevity of life.
They found that pure resveratrol intake was associated with higher lung volumes and that white wine intake (but not red wine intake) and was associated with lower risk of airway obstruction. They also report that the genetic factors studied did not relate to the associations found.
While several previous studies have reported that wine intake improves lung function, Forum reviewers were concerned about several aspects of the paper, and especially with the conclusions of the authors that resveratrol was the key factor in improved lung function.
“Resveratrol may well be just the bystander of something else present in wine,” a reviewer said.
“The beneficial effects on lung function are probably related to many compounds present in wine, and not just resveratrol,” the reviewer said.
Based on a number of scientific studies, moderate wine intake appears to have a favourable effect on lung function.
The doses of resveratrol seen in these epidemiologic studies are at levels that could be expected from moderate wine consumption, unlike the huge doses of resveratrol, which may not be capable of being metabolized, being evaluated as a potential life-extending drug in pharmaceutical studies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!