Mom`s junk food snacking may make baby a fast food addict
Melbourne: Moms-to-be, please note! Munching on junk food during pregnancy may raise the risk of your babies becoming addicted to fast food, a new study has claimed.
Pregnant mothers who consume junk food actually cause changes in the development of the opioid signalling pathway in the brains of their unborn children.
This change results in the babies being less sensitive to opioids, which are released upon consumption of foods that are high in fat and sugar.
In turn, these children, born with a higher "tolerance" to junk food need to eat more of it to achieve a "feel good" response, the study published in FASEB journal reported.
"The results of this research will ultimately allow us to better inform pregnant women about the lasting effect their diet has on the development of their child`s lifelong good preferences and risk of metabolic disease," said Beverly Muhlhausler, a researcher involved in the work from the FOODplus Research Centre at the School of Agriculture Food and Wine at The University of Adelaide in Adelaide, Australia.
"Hopefully, this will encourage mothers to make healthier diet choices which will lead to healthier children," Muhlhausler said.
Muhlausler and colleagues studied the pups of two groups of rats, one of which had been fed a normal rat food and the other which had been fed a range of human "junk foods" during pregnancy and lactation.
After weaning, the pups were given daily injections of an opioid receptor blocker, which blocks opioid signalling.
Blocking opioid signalling lowers the intake of fat and sugar by preventing the release of dopamine.
Results showed that the opioid receptor blocker was less effective at reducing fat and sugar intake in the pups of the junk food fed mothers, suggesting that the opioid signalling pathway in these offspring is less sensitive than for pups whose mothers are eating a standard rat feed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report