Most adults get 13% of daily calories from added sugar
New York: Most Americans get around 13 percent of their calories from added sweeteners, a new study suggests.
The report suggests that if you are like most adults, you’re probably eating, or drinking, too many “added sugars” in the form of sugar, honey, maple syrup, and high fructose corn syrup, the New York Daily News reported.
Researchers at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center for Health Statistics examined survey data from thousands of American adults, finding that most people get a whopping 13 percent of their total calories from added sugars alone.
Not only does that add a lot of extra calories which contribute to making us fat, sugary items often displace healthier items, such as fruits, vegetables, and foods packed with nutrients.
The data also showed that men consume more sugar per day than women -- men take in an average of 335 calories from sugar; women, 239 calories.
Also adults tend to eat the most sugar in their 20s and 30s, with the consumption dropping steadily over time.
For example, men between 20 and 39 years old consumed 397 calories of added sugar per day, on average, while men in their 40s and 50s consumed an average of 338 such calories per day.
The report adds that sugar-sweetened soda is the single biggest source of added sugars in the American diet, yet these beverages overall accounted for only one-third of added sugars consumed by adults, compared with two-thirds from food.
Also, when it comes to added sugars, we tend to eat and drink them mostly at home, the study showed -- 67 percent of added sugars from food were eaten at home, along with 58 percent of added sugars from drinks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire