New diet promises to help lose weight while you sleep
New York: The latest trend on the scene - the Overnight Diet, is a rapid weight-loss plan that claims you can actually slim down while you sleep.
American obesity doctor Caroline Apovian, of the Boston Medical Center, just penned a new book, `The Overnight Diet,` advising that dieters eat a high-protein diet for six days, followed by one day of a liquid diet.
That followed by lots of sleep (with no exercise necessary) equals a slimmer you, up to two pounds per night and nine pounds in one week-at least that`s the promise, the New York Daily News reported.
While mounting research suggests that more sleep can help you lose weight, skeptics say the diet is all a little too good to be true.
"In order to lose two pounds of body fat overnight you`d have to burn up about six or seven thousand calories and there`s just no way to do that by sleeping," Keith Ayoob, director of the nutrition clinic at the college`s Rose F. Kennedy Center, said.
Apovian doesn`t entirely disagree that the weight loss is water, at least intially, and the diet does make room for a variety of healthy foods, including some good carbs and plenty of fruit.
The liquid diet day consists of all-you-can-drink smoothies that Apovian claims are specifically engineered to produce a reduction in the body`s production of insulin.
If you`re bloated or store fat around your midsection, insulin is to blame, she said, and following the diet can help release that stored water and salt weight-leaving you slimmer and feeling healthier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt