Night-time snacking may lead to weight gain: Study
New York: Snacking at night can make you add more kilos than munching on food during the day, according to a new study.
The study found that the body turns more of the food into fat at night, while turning it into fuel during the day.
Researchers found that mice`s ability to regulate their blood sugar varied throughout the day.
In addition, disrupting their circadian clock, which signals sleep and wakefulness among other things to the body, caused them to put on more fat.
The findings could explain why night-shift workers are more prone to diabetes and obesity, researchers said.
"Disrupting your biological clock leads to a disruption of metabolism such that there`s more of a tendency to put on fat, even with the same amount of caloric intake or diet," said study co-author Carl Johnson, a chronobiologist at Vanderbilt University.
"It`s not only what you eat but when you eat it that`s important," Johnson said.
Several studies in the past have shown that shift workers gain more weight and are likelier to develop diabetes. Past work also showed that mice (which are nocturnal) put on more fat if they can only eat during the day, even at the same caloric intake.
Researchers suspected the circadian clock played a role, though exactly how was a mystery.
Johnson and his colleagues tested how well mice`s bodies processed food across the 24-hour cycle. During daylight hours, when mice wouldn`t normally eat, they were less responsive to insulin, a hormone that tells the body`s tissues to take sugar from the blood so it can be used as energy.
In addition, when they disrupted the mice`s circadian clocks by keeping them in dim red light all day, the mice developed signs of insulin resistance, meaning the tissues didn`t respond to insulin`s signal to take up sugar, and they put on more fat.
The findings hint that snacking late into the night may be worse for people than eating earlier in the day, Johnson said.
The study was published in the journal Current Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in