Now, a chocolate bar with fruit juice instead of fat
London: In some good news for chocaholics, scientists have created a chocolate bar which won`t make you add on pounds as the fat in it has been replaced by fruit juice.
from the University of Warwick have replaced up to 50 percent of chocolate`s fat content with fruit juice, the Daily Mail reported.
The new bar will still appeal to chocolate lovers as it feels like chocolate, they claimed.
"Everyone loves chocolate, but unfortunately we all know that many chocolate bars are high in fat," Dr Stefan Bon, lead researcher said.
"However it`s the fat that gives chocolate all the indulgent sensations that people crave for the silky smooth texture and the way it melts in the mouth but still has a `snap` to it when you break it with your hand," Bon was quoted by the paper as saying.
"We`ve found a way to maintain all of those things that make chocolate `chocolatey` but with fruit juice instead of fat," Bon said.
"Our study is just the starting point to healthier chocolate. We`ve established the chemistry behind this new technique but now we`re hoping the food industry will take our method to make tasty, lower-fat chocolate bars," Bon added.
The researchers took out much of the cocoa butter and milk fats that go into chocolate bars, substituting them with tiny droplets of juice measuring under 30 microns in diameter.
They infused orange and cranberry juice into milk, dark and white chocolate using what is known as a Pickering emulsion.
The final product will taste fruity, the team admitted - but there is the option to use water and a small amount of ascorbic acid (vitamin C) instead of juice to maintain a chocolaty taste.
The study was published in the Journal of Materials Chemistry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users