Now, a food fest of flowers!
Kolkata: Foodies can detoxify themselves with gourmet dishes made from flower extracts, herbs and fruits in a unique food festival in the city.
The `Edible Flower Food Festival` will be held at The Sonnet hotel Nov 23-25.
On the menu are vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes such as herb-infused fresh fruit salad with cinnamon and rose extracts and braised chicken salad with grape juice, flowers, fruits and herbs.
"The use of floral extracts along with herbs and fruits makes meat dishes ideal for the health conscious," said Niladri Chakraborty, the hotel`s corporate chef.
"Diabetics can try these. The only oil we have used is olive oil and in minute quantities," he said.
The dishes have extracts of tulip, pansy, rose, lily and blossoms of basil besides chive, banana, fennel, clover, mint, passion flower, rosemary, thyme and lilac.
The flowers are used in various forms -- plucked, powdered or as liquid extract.
"When you eat the items, you will get a range of aromas -- from sweet to salty," said Chakraborty.
Accompanying the floral components, there are a host of herbs and fruits to enhance the flavours and provide medicinal benefits.
"Chive blossoms are useful in preventing anaemia while pomegranates prevent blood clots. All the individual components have benefits," said Chakraborty.
He said the dishes could be made at home too.
"They might take a bit of time but they are easy to prepare. Most of the ingredients are easily available. If people can try these dishes off and on at home, they will live longer," said Chakraborty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan