Now, a food fest of flowers!
Kolkata: Foodies can detoxify themselves with gourmet dishes made from flower extracts, herbs and fruits in a unique food festival in the city.
The `Edible Flower Food Festival` will be held at The Sonnet hotel Nov 23-25.
On the menu are vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes such as herb-infused fresh fruit salad with cinnamon and rose extracts and braised chicken salad with grape juice, flowers, fruits and herbs.
"The use of floral extracts along with herbs and fruits makes meat dishes ideal for the health conscious," said Niladri Chakraborty, the hotel`s corporate chef.
"Diabetics can try these. The only oil we have used is olive oil and in minute quantities," he said.
The dishes have extracts of tulip, pansy, rose, lily and blossoms of basil besides chive, banana, fennel, clover, mint, passion flower, rosemary, thyme and lilac.
The flowers are used in various forms -- plucked, powdered or as liquid extract.
"When you eat the items, you will get a range of aromas -- from sweet to salty," said Chakraborty.
Accompanying the floral components, there are a host of herbs and fruits to enhance the flavours and provide medicinal benefits.
"Chive blossoms are useful in preventing anaemia while pomegranates prevent blood clots. All the individual components have benefits," said Chakraborty.
He said the dishes could be made at home too.
"They might take a bit of time but they are easy to prepare. Most of the ingredients are easily available. If people can try these dishes off and on at home, they will live longer," said Chakraborty.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- 1st Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...
- ALARMING: Terrorist captured alive by security forces in Kashmir is a Pakistani from Lahore
- Sensex stages strong comeback, climbs 144 points in early trade
- US reaffirms cooperation with India in fight against terrorism
- Watch: Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra’s desi swag will make you go crazy!