Obese kids must avoid fast food to stay sharp
New York: Is obesity of your kid weighing down his/her academic performance? Then, persuade them to eat natural, unprocessed, raw food instead of chips, sodas and fast foods, move whenever possible, and restrict media exposure, said a study.
Childhood obesity correlates with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, learning disorders, and poor academic performance.
"Eating natural, unprocessed, raw food eliminates the constant need to calculate calories, carbohydrates, fat, protein, vitamins - a reason diets fail," said Kristopher Kaliebe, clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Centre in the US.
"Children as well as parents need to find excuses to move whenever possible and be especially active during leisure time," he added.
Restricting media exposure could also help the obese kids stay sharp, the study said.
Sensory overload and "noise" from popular culture, gaming, advertising, media and electronics crowds out important things such as family matters, academics, sleep, and the development of other interests.
"Celebrations, such as birthday parties, are less meaningful. Do not stress over the occasional special treat, but be strict about everyday routines," Kaliebe said.
"Habits have profound effects," he concluded.
The study appeared in the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!