Obese kids must avoid fast food to stay sharp
New York: Is obesity of your kid weighing down his/her academic performance? Then, persuade them to eat natural, unprocessed, raw food instead of chips, sodas and fast foods, move whenever possible, and restrict media exposure, said a study.
Childhood obesity correlates with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, learning disorders, and poor academic performance.
"Eating natural, unprocessed, raw food eliminates the constant need to calculate calories, carbohydrates, fat, protein, vitamins - a reason diets fail," said Kristopher Kaliebe, clinical assistant professor of psychiatry at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Centre in the US.
"Children as well as parents need to find excuses to move whenever possible and be especially active during leisure time," he added.
Restricting media exposure could also help the obese kids stay sharp, the study said.
Sensory overload and "noise" from popular culture, gaming, advertising, media and electronics crowds out important things such as family matters, academics, sleep, and the development of other interests.
"Celebrations, such as birthday parties, are less meaningful. Do not stress over the occasional special treat, but be strict about everyday routines," Kaliebe said.
"Habits have profound effects," he concluded.
The study appeared in the Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price