Older obese kids eat less than healthy peers
Washington: Obese kids who are older actually consume fewer calories per day than their healthy peers, while younger overweight children consume more calories than their healthy peers.
These findings are the outcome of a new study by University of North Carolina (UNC) School of Medicine paediatrics researchers, who compared the eating habits of overweight children aged between nine and 17 years compared to those younger than nine years.
"Children who are overweight tend to remain overweight," said Asheley Cockrell Skinner, assistant professor of paediatrics at UNC, who led the study the journal Paediatrics reports.
"So, for many children, obesity may begin by eating more in early childhood. Then as they get older, they continue to be obese without eating any more than their healthy weight peers," Skinner said, according to an UNC statement.
"One reason this makes sense is because we know overweight children are less active than healthy weight kids. Additionally, this is in line with other research that obesity is not a simple matter of overweight people eating more - the body is complex in how it reacts to amount of food eaten and amount of activity," added Skinner.
Skinner and co-authors Eliana Perrin and Michael Steiner from the UNC, examined dietary reports from 19,125 children aged aged one to 17 years old that were collected from 2001 to 2008 as part of the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- AN-32 search still on, ISRO satellite imagery sought
- What is the purpose of human life—Know here!
- Navjot Singh Sidhu is still in the party: Punjab BJP chief
- Youth arrested from Parbhani for suspected ISIS links
- Shocking! UP man caught having sexual relationship with 140 women, which includes lady police officer - READ